Sequim School District No. 323
“Inspire and Achieve”
503 North Sequim Avenue, Sequim, WA 98382
Telephone: (360) 582-3260, FAX: (360) 683-6303, www.sequim.k12.wa.us
Preliminary Agenda Revised June 17, 2016 – All meetings in the District Board Room unless otherwise noted.
June 20, 2016
5:30pm – 2016~2017 Draft Budget Workshop – Brian Lewis, Director of Finance and Operations
6:30pm Regular Board Meeting
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER (REF. POLICY 1400)
4. CHANGES/ADDITIONS AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA (REF. POLICY 1420)
5. STUDENT BOARD REPRESENTATIVE COMMUNICATION & STUDENT RECOGNITION
6. PUBLIC COMMENTS - The Board believes that public comments are a very important connection between our community and the Board. This time is set aside for receiving both written and oral communication. We ask first that if you have comments on an agenda item, you come forward, introduce yourself and share your comments. Then, the president will ask for speakers with general comments to come forward and introduce yourselves and share your comments. Each speaker will be allowed 3 minutes and a red card will be held up when 30 seconds remains. (Ref. Policy 1400, 1623, and 1620P)
7. BOARD COMMUNICATION AND OTHER ITEMS
8. CONSENT AGENDA – REQUEST BOARD APPROVAL: Any item may be moved to New Business with a motion from any Board member.
a. General Fund Vouchers No. 186167 thru No. 186167 in the total amount of $589.63; and No. 186168 thru No. 186204 in the total amount of $17, 949.47; and No. 186205 thru No. 186281 in the total amount of $194,110.49.
c. Personnel - Employment with the District will be conditional upon the district’s receipt of a criminal conviction history record that is clear of any convictions, adjudications, protective orders, final decisions, or criminal charges in accordance with Washington State law and conditional upon receipt of a sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form from prior Washington State employer(s), where employment was in a school setting, indicating that no sexual, verbal or physical misconduct materials were found in the records of such employer(s) pursuant to RCW 28A.400 and WAC 180-87-080.
1. Approve Leave of Absence Request for Peter Harker, Sequim Middle School Paraeducator, from August 31, 2016 through November 25, 2016 as presented.2. Offer Certificated Helen Haller Fifth Grade Teaching position to Meredith Vincent, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
3. Offer Certificated Middle School Science teaching position to Maria Germano, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
4. Offer certificated .5 FTE Speech/Language Arts position for Carma Feland, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
Offer Certificated K-2 Resource Room position to Tanna Pittman, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
6. Offer Helen Haller Elementary Assistant Principal position to Allyson Cundiff, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
7. Offer Classified Special Education Paraeducator position to Susan Bridges, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
8. Offer Classified Title Match Para position to Eliza Klinger, for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
9. Accept Letter of Resignation from Lara Hernandez, fourth grade teacher at Greywolf Elementary, effective June 30, 2016 as presented.
10. Approve Contract for Services between Sequim School District and Matthew Mitchell, OTR/L to provide services to students as an Occupational Therapist for the 2016-2017 school year, as presented.
10. OLD BUSINESS
a. At First Reading Policy #2421 – Promotion/Retention, tabled from last meeting. Content from the current policy was moved into the procedure. Reference to NEW Policy #2107 – Comprehensive Early Literacy Plan was added and the Management Resource updated. Classified Discretionary. Dr. Ann Renker, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching & Learning
b. At First Reading Policy #2107 – Comprehensive Early Literacy Plan. The new law, RCW 28A.566.2535, directs districts to identify and support students in kindergarten through fourth grade who struggle with reading skills. Districts are now required to indicate on report cards for students K-4 progress toward reading skills acquisition and whether the student is reading at grade level.
11. NEW BUSINESS
a. Accept Donation of Playground Equipment at Greywolf Elementary School – Rebecca Bratsman, Greywolf Elementary PTA
c. Approval of the Alternative Education Program for 2016-2017 – Randy Hill, Principal Olympic Peninsula Academy
d. Resolution 05-2015 2016 regarding Albert Haller Foundation Funding -- Dr. Ann Renker, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning.
a. Superintendent’s Report
13. FOR YOUR INFORMATION
a. Upcoming Board Meetings, etc.
o June 29 – Board Planning Workshop 7am to noon, Clallam Transit Center Conference Room
o July 18th – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:30pm
o August 1st – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:30pm
o August 15th – Regular Board Meeting and Budget Hearing @ 6:30pm
o September 6th – Regular Board Meeting @ 6:30pm
b. Enrollment Report taken June 1, 2016
c. Free and Reduced lunch percentages for June, 2016
d. Economic Development Corporation Update for 16 June 2016
14. FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER
a. Exit Slips
15. EXECUTIVE SESSION
It will be necessary at this time to recess to an Executive Session as per RCW 42.30.110(g) for approximately 10 minutes, in order to discuss the performance of a public employee